Pages

Simple Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes are a traditional side dish I make for my Thanksgiving dinner. People confuse yams with sweet potatoes but yams are large and have less nutritional value and are rarely found in American grocery stores.

The benefits of these naturally sweet vegetables may lessen arthritis and asthma since they contain anti-inflammatory properties. They also include potassium, calcium and vitamins A and C. Unlike white potatoes, sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index which is a plus for anyone suffering from diabetes such as myself.

Although I like to eat them, I am the only one that eats them in my house. My daughter doesn't like them which is weird to me since they are sweet and she loves her sugar. I guess it's because it's a potato. She doesn't eat white potatoes either.

I started doing something different for the holidays and eliminated making sweet potatoes as a side for Thanksgiving. I decided to bake a pie instead. I can remember the first time I made sweet potatoes. I didn't know how to make them but I knew they were sweet. I don't care for marshmallows in mine. I'm not a fan of marshmallows. Sometimes I will put some in if I have them but most of the time I go without. This recipe is simple to make. Here is how I prepare my easy side dish.

Ingredients

3 to 4 sweet potatoes

½ cup brown sugar

½ stick butter

1 tsp cinnamon

¼ cup syrup. (I use pancake syrup.)

I prepare my potatoes in a sauce pan. Peel the potatoes and cut into pieces. Wash the potatoes and rinse. Cover the potatoes with water and salt the water. Boil them until they are tender. Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water and add in the butter and mix with potatoes. Reduce the heat. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the potatoes. If you like your potatoes super sweet then add more sugar. Season them with cinnamon. I don't use nutmeg since I don't like the taste of nutmeg but it is a popular spice for sweet potatoes. Pour in the syrup and mix around. I use Mrs. Butterworth syrup or sometimes maple syrup. It should come out like a buttery sweet glaze. Toss the potatoes in the sauce and serve. If you prefer marshmallows, use a casserole dish. Add in the potatoes and the marshmallows. Pre-heat oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the top of the casserole is golden brown