Mousaka is one of the most popular Mediterranean cuisines. It is a delicious party meal and tempting on the taste buds. Making Mousaka is not as difficult as many people think. It just require one to spend more time in the kitchen than our usual cuisine. This recipe makes Mousaka easy to make. If you want to surprise your guests by cooking Mousaka, then you will require the following:
One finely chopped onion
One can of tomato puree
Four finely chopped garlic
One pound ground beef
One teaspoon of dried basil
Two teaspoons of dried Oregano
Half teaspoon Cinnamon
One bay leaf
Half cup grated Pecorino
Salt and black pepper, according to your taste
Two cups of Bechamel sauce
Quarter cup of bread crumbs
Here are the simple steps of making Mausaka:
1. Brown the beef and then remove it after leaving the pan greasy.
2. Add onions and garlic. Saute well until you sense the aroma.
3. Add the ground beef into the pan and mix well.
4. Add basil, bay leaf, oregano, tomatoes, cinnamon, salt and pepper into the cooking pan.
5. Cover the pan with its lid and simmer for around twenty minutes.
6. Broil the eggplant from both sides, until golden brown. This usually takes around four to five minutes.
7. Place the eggplant on the bottom of a baking pan and pour the beef sauce.
8. Make Bechamel Sauce.
How Can You Make Bechamel Sauce?
Do you know how to make Bechamel sauces? My guests always enjoy this tasty sauce with Mausaka. For making this sauce, you will require two tablespoons of butter, two tablespoons of floor, one cup of milk and half teaspoon nutmeg. You can also add salt and black pepper according to your taste. Here is how you can make Bechamel sauce:
First of all, add butter in a small sauce pan and heat over medium low heat, until it melts.
Mix flour and stir well, until it becomes smooth.
Pour milk and keep on stirring until it gets thick.
Sprinkle salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Then cook the for five minutes on low heat.
Bechamel sauce is ready! Now, you can melt cheese into the sauce and mix the sauce in the beef sauce. Garnish with bread crumbs and cheese. Bake the mixture over 350 degrees, until it becomes golden brown from the surface. It mostly takes around half an hour. Take out the baking pan from the oven and serve hot. Invite your family and friends over and enjoy the tempting dish! I am sure your guests will admire your cooking and hospitality. So, try today and feel proud!