Pages

Banana Loaf

I used to work in a non-profit soup kitchen where all our food came to us as donations thus we never threw anything out. I learned how to turn the ugliest ingredients into something great. I was totally disgusted at some of the stuff that came in rotten. I would always want to throw it away. My boss would tell me, "girl you better peel or cut the bad parts out and use that food." It surprised me at how good we made the food turn out with what was given to us. If the people we served knew how the food looked once we got it they probably wouldn't have eaten it.

Don't be quick to throw out those black bananas you have lying around. Make use with them for banana bread. Who doesn't love great banana bread? I could eat a slice with or without nuts. The recipe I'm sharing is without nuts. Of course you can add nuts in your recipe. Here is my spin on banana bread.

Ingredients

2 cups bread flour

1 cup brown sugar

1 stick butter

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

2 eggs

3 bananas

1 tsp vanilla extract

½ cup milk

Grab a large mixing bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave. Mix in the brown sugar with the eggs. Then add the milk, butter and vanilla; mix well. In a separate bowl add the bread flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Salt the dry ingredients with the sea salt. If the bananas have turned black, then they are really soft. Peel the bananas and put in a bowl. With a potato masher, mash the bananas then add to the sugar and egg mixture. Mix in the dry ingredients with the banana mixture. Pre-heat the oven. Grab a loaf pan and butter the entire inside of the pan. Sprinkle about a tsp of flour to coat the butter. Pour the banana batter into the coated loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the loaf pan from the oven. I like to butter the top as soon as I take it from the oven. I also like to slice a piece and spread a tsp of butter on the slice. Another way I like to eat it is bake the bread with nuts, then slice a piece hot and put 2 to 3 tbsp of cold cinnamon applesauce on top of the bread.